Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Happy Baby to the Best "Son" in the World!





So, for those of you who don't know already, I have unofficially adopted a Dominican son. Granted, he has a mother (who happens to be my best friend in the barrio), but he is just SUCH an awesome kid that he temporarily has two moms. I am his "Gringa" mom and Pilar is his Dominican one. We pretty much spend everyday together playing games, watching movies, doing homework, and, of course, practicing English. He recently had his 12 birthday, which was the event of the CENTURY. We juntar-ed all of our money to buy fruit (to make a delicioso punch), snacks, popcorn, decorations, and a piñata (yes, i know, they are a mexican thing, which is precisely why our piñata was not the most aesthetically pleasing). Since I am the town baker, I whipped up two 2-layer cakes that though delicious, were clearly made more with love than any professional skills. After the house was covered with balloons, and the reggaeton was bumping, it was ready for the festivities to begin. To my utter dismay, however, there were like THIRTY kids there!! Needless to say, Pilar's small, 3-room house was busting at the seams with little muchachos who, naturally, started dancing some of the raciest reggaeton I've ever seen! If you think that the adults at the discoteca dance a little dirty, you have never seen the 8-year-olds in my barrio. Precisely why I told my little son Miguel that he is LUCKY that I'm not his REAL mother because I would have turned that music off and put on some nice, kid-friendly bachata. Unfortunately the most disturbing videos were accidentally deleted, but this little show still survived:


No comments: