Saturday, May 12, 2007

Off to Muerto Plata

After a few fun days of being TOTALLY american in the capital (staying in a hotel...you have no idea how amazing a hot, non-bucket shower was for us..even the BOYS raved about it, Hard Rock Cafe, and yes, even McDonalds), we all had to sadly depart to our sites...ALONE!! I boarded Caribe Tours and headed to Puerto Plata which, in reality, is a really beautiful site because I am about 10 minutes from the ocean and, though I haven't been just yet, I hear that Playa Dorada, among others, are some really amazing beaches. I lovingly call it Muerto Plata, however, because I live in an extremely densly populated barrio and I would pretty much call it FULL of tigueres.
The house where I am staying now is, as they say, on the "patio"of the school...which is essentially its frontyard. Each of the 1,200 students conveniently knows exactly where I live and where I am at all times. I hope to have some pictures of my site soon, but I am experiencing serious technical difficulties at the moment. stay tuned for pics..i hope!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hope you'll have fun in your new role. A bit different in a warmer climate. Mom mentioned your encounter w/ the local house pet. Enjoy your time living at"the patio", you'll handle yourself and the situation well. Again hope all is well and you will learn a lot from this experience.
Brent

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should send Mike to be your bodyguard against the tigueres - it's possible he'll have some free time if he doesn't come through with some good grades. I have a grammar book to send you and I've ordered some novellas to send.
Love. Dad