Saturday, May 12, 2007

Where the Wild Things Are


So, we all new that this country was going to be full of nasty, creepy crawlers. It's part of the "growing up" process of the Peace Corps. The creatures that I hate the most, without a doubt, are the gigantic, hairy black spiders that put to shame ANY spider I have seen in the Northamerican Midwest. I believe that upon my return, I will embrace my little Chicago arachnid friends, thanking them for being smaller than a fist. Here, however, I still cower at the SIGHT of the black monsters and have lost many nights of sleep because the evil varmin seem to find their way into MY room everytime. Of course the other notable creature is the cockroach. Despite the fact that this insect has its own theme song, it is a repulsive creature. They ONLY come out at night and generally scurry whenever the lights come on as if they know that they are gross and should be killed. The worst encounter for me was definitely when I was sleeping in Sabana de la Mar, supposedly tucked safely in my mosquito net...when I woke up in the middle of the night to feel a freaking cockroack CRAWLING on me...IN my mosquitero. I have never felt as secure since!! I keep trying to think of that stupid movie Joe's Apartment where all of the cockroaches are cute and dance..but its not helping. Sadly, when I compare them to the spiders, I embrace them with open arms. I have yet to see a "cienpies"which are, reportedly, really huge centipedes that feed on human hair. My first encounter with one of them may be the day that I buy a ticket out of here...but vamos a ver.
Oddly enough, the only thing that dominicans totally hate are "macos"which is their common word for a frog or toad. I, of course, totally love them which makes for a really sweet time. I literally had my dona in sabana screeming and running away because I caught a huge toad while playing with my host brother. They think that they are the most hideous creatures ever...I think I should get one as a pet. And for the record, day one that I move into my house I am buying a cat and she is going to eat ALL of my spiders and cockroaches. gracias a dios for los gatos.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Could be one of the best blog posts ever! I am dying lauging here in Sabana. I know what you are talking about amiga. I´ve definitely seen those ginormous and disgusting creatures that like to crawl around at night. And now apparently there have been tons of new cases of Dengue here, lucky us. Start taking your Vitamin B Complex now. Damn mosquitoes. I hate them! Later sister!