Thursday, June 7, 2007

My New Babies

Pretty much anyone who knows me knows how annoying I am when it comes to "my babies."I could talk about all of my precious little students ad nauseum. Therefore, I have to put at least a few words in about how my actual JOB is going. So far, I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off, TRYING to talk to as many professors as possible before they disappear into the black hole that is summer vacation. I have also been feverishly giving reading tests to all of the students in grades 1 through 4 who are below grade level. The problem is that my school is GIGANTIC and that everyday I find about a million more students who should be in my summer camp. I have some third graders who are "principantes", which means that they don't know a single word or letter, and normally cannot write their name. Then, yesterday, I had an 11 year old SECOND grader, who is completely alfabetized...so I have no idea why he is still in 2nd grade. Which has lead me to conclude that the teachers just throw a dart at a dartboard to decide which students will be in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. I also, of course, am already in love with all of the most violent, agressive kids in the school and have invited just about all of them to be in our camp!
Aside from the fact that there is only one week left in the school, the other major obstacle I have is that my school loves to "dispachar." According to my dictionary, this means "to dispatch". According to Dominicans, this means "send the kids home early just because we want to." They have been dispacharing just about EVERY day this week...so I am ready just to settle with what I have and hope that this insane summer camp is not a complete failure!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are busy and learning a lot from your babies. The beaches sound wonderful. Love You!