Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I Heart Playa Dorada

After all of this time living in Puerto Plata, I FINALLY went to our most popular tourist beach. Kelsi and Jen came up from their sites outside of Santiago to baske with me in the best thing that this country has to offer-the BEACH. A 20 peso guagua ride got us to the entrance of Playa Dorada. We randomly wandered around until we found a pretty spot on the beach, and sat down on the lawn chairs that belong to some resort. We´re pretty sure that we were at some all-inclusive resort area but, since we are gringas, no one bothered us! My host dad said that people are not allowed to eat outside food on the beach (only the resort food)...but, again the gringa thing, we got away with it. My host mom wouldn´t let me leave the house without packing us food, so I´m pretty sure we were the only people on the beach eating mangù (which is mashed plantains) with fried salami and onions. We are SO dominican sometimes. The water was like bath water and, aside from the tiny white crab that bit my toe, there was nothing but clear sand (no seaweed!!). We had an awesome, relaxing day and have vowed to go to Playa Dorada once month! Hopefully, this can actually happen soon (once I get my OWN apartment!).


1 comment:

Unknown said...

omg i can't wait to t-bump the crap out of that beach...although the gulf of mexico got the best of me last time...hopefully we will take this beach by storm!