Thursday, September 13, 2007

Happy Baby You You

Hopefully this will be my last entry sans photos. I vow to start carrying my camera more! Anyway, I found out yesterday AFTERNOON that it was my host mom's birthday. I was so mad because I would have bought her some fancy "american" lotion or a tin of peanuts or something. Anyway, it turns out that my host dad had a little party planned for her..with TWO cakes, balloons, soda, the works! I found this kind of weird because, at least in my family, it is the children's birthdays who are celebrated more, not the parents'. But in this family, I experienced the reverse. When my sister turned twelve we hardly batted an eyelash..but for my mom's birthday we had half the neighborhood in the house! Of course there were about 15 prayers..I think everyone just likes having HIS turn to lead the "Glory a Dios!" and "Ay, Santo"s. Then a bunch of people had to make speaches....including yours truly! Talk about impromptu! Thankfully, I muttered some words about being her "hija mas grandecita" and everyone loved my broken spanish. The craziest part...aside from receiving a cell phone better than the one I had at home, my host dad bought her a COMPUTER!! I thought I was supposed to be living with a poor family?!?! They have SATELLITE tv! This country is truly nuts. Anyway, we topped off the celebration with lots of singing...including "Happy Birthday" in English. Unfortunately, no matter HOW many times I explain the pronunciation, they all sing "Happy Baby, you you." Did I mention that teaching English was NOT in my plans?

No comments: