Monday, October 15, 2007

Happy Birthday of a Different Sort

So, this happened a few weeks ago, but I think that it deserves mentioning. I was invited by one of the support staff of the school to her son´s 12th birthday party. The woman is really nice and has invited me to her house previously, so I made it a point to attend. Little did I know that I would be their guest of honor! They kept serving me on dishware when everyone else received paper plates. I wanted to explain that, although (for them) I have eaten from the silver spoon, we also use paper plates in Nueva York! Anyway, they turned the music on and the kids started dancing...which SOUNDS innocent enough..but the music was reggaeton, which most resembles hip hop. The dancing is actually MORE caliente than hip hop! I mean these kids were only 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 years old...and they were making ME blush with how ¨adult¨they were dancing. Funnily enough, the parents just write it off as ¨kids are changing these days¨and that THIS is what they like now. Well, I was red in the face and just about ready to leave, but then the generator ran out of power and so the kids had to go home. I stayed on the porch with the father, an uncle, and a few other random guests and we actually had a great conversation about economics, poverty, Europe, all sorts of crap. They have learned a lot about other countries by watching Discovery en espaƱol, and were asking me things like, ¨Is there really a place that has rivers instead of streets?¨ We had lots of fun drinking Brahma (one of the THREE main beers here). The best part is that the family, though one of the poorest I know here (they have a house entirely made of wood and at least three people in each bed. I also used their bathroom for the first time..which was just a wooden hut where one pees on the floor!), they want to take me all around town...to the campo, to the beach, to the pig roast, to the discoteca. I couldn´t be more excited!! I am even hoping to move closer to them (and, thereby, closer to the school as well). Si Dios quiere!

No comments: