Sunday, February 3, 2008

Gringos are Great



The last two weeks in my site have been SWEET. There is a group of gringas from Vermont who came to do a program called "Healthy Schools, Healthy Children" (or something of the like). I got the chance to work with them in a few of the classrooms, and was really impressed with the help they provided to our fourth and fifth grade teachers. They also had an intern named Grace who came to live in Puerto Plata for three weeks. Even though she was here for a short time, she met TONS of people and learned her way around Puerto Plata much better than I do! She taught me about a really sweet grocery store (it even has a deli-I can now buy cheese OTHER than "squeaky colmado cheese"!!) and she met a lot of really eclectic friends who drove us around town. We even ended up in a discoteca in Playa Dorada that featured a man dressed as Jim Carey from the Mask, a machine that poured bubbles from the ceiling, and a man dressed as Spiderman (who later FLEW across the ceiling!!). All in all, it was really nice to have some americans to run around town with. The best part is that Grace is working on getting a group of 8-10 more students to come down and help me with work in my community in February of next year. I'm definitely ready for round two!

No comments: