Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Attempt at a Project #1







After many months of being in the school constantly and avoiding working with teachers, I decided to actual attempt a project. Lori (IT volunteer from nearby Luperon) and I decided that a mural project would be fun. We had various plans for raising the money (all of which fell through) so we decided that we could sell Mistolin (very popular floor cleaner), or a homemade version of it, that is. So, we began collecting bazillions of old water and pop bottles, and I talked to my school about it almost weekly. Finally, the great day in June arrived. I had purchased all of the necessary chemicals in Santiago and Lori and I whipped out gallons and gallons of great-smelling (though the color was a little...off) floor disinfectant. My school, however, heartbreakingly let me down in that they did NOTHING to help us. My directora even kept walking around telling everyone that the money was going to be for our "summer camp" when I had repeatedly told her that it was for a mural. In the end, we were left with a ton of Mistolin (to which the school helps itself, I might add) and no money. Through your generous donations, however, we were able to get a move on the mural project and, as soon as it is finished, I will provide proud updates! Just have to mark the Mistolin fundraiser as one of the many failed project attempts...and move on to the next one.

No comments: