Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I Actually Had a Visitor!











So, although Ann's visit was quite some time ago, I think it still deserves a spot on my blog. I was SO anxious/excited/nervous to have my first (and probably ONLY) visitor here in the DR. I was soooo worried that it was going to rain everyday she was here (yes, it does that here), get bitten by a bad mosquito and go home with Dengue, or have what we volunteers lovingly refer to as "explosive diahrrea." Thankfully, we only got one day of monsoon rain and a little bit of vomiting! Other than that, I think her trip was a total hit! We rode the cable car, visited all of the so-called "monuments" of Puerto Plata, drank Presidente, climbed 7 of the 27 waterfalls, went swimming at the beach, got hilarious Dominican manicures, waited for HOURS to see Leonel (Ann became his biggest fan) who we never did see, ate rice and beans, and danced our hearts out to merengue and bachata.



Even though she couldn't communicate with them, Pilar and her family absolutely adored "Anna" (as they call her) and still ask about her regularly. Pilar even regalar-ed a bracelet and a pair of sandals! Though some moments may have been a little insane (the 2 of us on a motorcycle during a monsoon, for example), I think that Ann had a good time. I am just thrilled that she got to see a little bit of what my life is like here and, despite the dirt roads and constant blackouts, appreciate the beauty of my 3rd world home.

No comments: