Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Home on the Range

Before I describe my awesome trips to Caño Hondo and Samana, I would like to share a few anecdotes about life in the pueblo. I have described to many that, instead of a ¨compost toilet,¨we have a bathroom that is connected to my room and my ¨parents´¨ room. The only separation is a SHEET...which makes privacy pretty much impossible. Suprisingly, I have already grown accustomed to having the bathroom be a public activity.
In other news, I saw my first CUCARACHA yesterday. Unfortunately, it lives in the refridgerator! So maybe I will be eating ¨cockroach soup¨ like some of you suggested. Other than that, my family is absolutely hilarious. My host brother, Hosmy, is 10 years old and spends the entire day outside making bikes with machetes. He comes in every evening completely filthy and his mother yells ¨bañate¨every 5 mins (telling him to bathe). He isn´t allowed to sit at the table when he is dirty..but he usually prefers to remain dirty and eat his dinner on the floor. He has appropriately earned the nickname of ¨child-dog.¨ He is also desperate to go to the US because he is convinced the snow has to be the most amazing thing on earth. He wanted to know if you can surf in it, swim in it, bulild caves in it, drown it it, etc. He then went to the freezer and got the ¨snow¨from the freezer. I showed him how to make snowballs and now he just throws them at his sister.
My host mom and dad LOVE to dance so they have been at the discoteca every Saturday with us. They are also constantly looking over me and telling me which guys are ¨tigres¨and which ones are ok for us to befriend. They laugh at me for saying things like ¨Are you eating chicken hand?¨instead of ¨chicken claw¨which is awesome. All in all, my casita is SWEET.

No comments: