Friday, March 16, 2007

I finally started a blog!

I know that I vowed never to create one of these stupid sites because I never have anything interesting to say, but I have grown weary of writing emails with no response (hint hint!). I am in my fourth week (I think) in the Dominican Republic and, so far, it has been an insane experience! I spent the first couple of weeks in Pantoja, outside of Santo Domingo. I lived with Doña Maria, who is really sweet and an AWESOME cook..though her dominican spanish is nearly impossible to understand. Our most fun adventure was to the river. We loaded up about 20 people from our barrio and (sorry mom and dad), I rode in the back of a beat-up flatbed truck down the highway. The river was a bit fishy but really fun. Everyone was drinking MamaJuana...which is an awesome drink that people make at home using rum, honey, and some spices.
For my PCV visit, I went to Sosua on the northern coast. The volunteer´s site was RIGHT on the beach! It was sooo awesome. On Saturday, we went to Cabarete, which is a touristy beach that has lots of great restaurants and bars. Booze is really cheap so you should all come visit!
Now I am in Sabana de la Mar which is also on the coast, right across from the Samana Peninsula. The beach here is gross, which blows, but we have plans to go to at least one nice beach while we are here. Last Saturday, I went to the discoteca with my host parents and fellow volunteers. As my beebs would describe, there were many ¨creepsters¨lurking about but, all in all, we had an awesome time dancing bachata and merengue...though I am sure that I look like a complete moron. Anyway, I wish that Jenny were writing these because her tales are always much funnier. I think that I might email her and have her convert my stories into a good blog!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

BEEB! Your mom mentioned your blog and I managed to find it...I'm glad I got the ol' double mention! Miss you!

Sparke said...

No problema, beebs. Also note that you are the first (and only) person to comment! lol