Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Independence Day Mania







As Robyn astutely noted, the Dominican Independence Day (27 de febrero) somehow brought on MORE work in the school than a regular school day. On the eve of that insane day I was stuck in the school painting, drawing, coloring, etc. mostly because the teachers INSIST that my writing is so "pretty." At 8 o'clock in the morning, I was downtown with a bunch of teachers and students from my school, getting ready for the parade that was supposed to start at "8 o'clock." Around 9:30, it actually began, and then we marched for about an hour and a half. The Dominican sun was a little unforgiving; I returned home pretty similar to the color of this little muchachitas pom pons! All in all, it was an exhausting day...most of us americans agree that our Independence Day (drinking, barbecues, fireworks, etc.) is the way to REALLY celebrate :) I will note, however, that we lack the ridiculous HOMEMADE fireworks seen above. Yes, that's right. These 10-13 year-olds (See Above) were playing with fireworks made out of rusty old tomato cans, tape, gun powder, and some sort of flammable liquid. Sounds suuuuuper safe to me!

No comments: