Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sparke the......baker?


As mentioned previously, the fact that I own a digital camera makes me the community photographer. Apparently, the fact that I have a muffin pan and some boxed cake mixes (Thanks, mom!) makes me a world class baker. Many a Dominican doña has said to me, "Sarah, you know how to make cakes? You MUST teach me!!" These women, who make rice, beans, stews, plantains, fish, chicken, etc. EVERY day and almost exclusively use raw materials (No Hamburger Helper here!) are asking ME how to cook something. For those of you who have tasted my "cuisine," I am sure that this comes to a rather hilarious surprise. But, hey, my deal with them is as follows: If they teach me how to make all of their scrumptious Dominican comida, then I will show them the magic of Duncan Hines. I have a feeling that my host mom might not be SO impressed when she sees that a chimpanzee could make my "sabroso" chocolate cake. =) (Pictured: my little neighbors painting a cake).

No comments: