Sunday, February 8, 2009

Feliz Navidad

This year, I was a bit nervous about being away from my family for Christmas (for the FIRST time!). Though I didn't get my annual snowfall or Christmas tree, I really enjoyed my holiday season. For one thing, there was NO school and so I had tons of free time to read, relax, and hang out with my muchachos. For nine days leading up to Christmas day, we got up reaaaaally early in the morning (with the help of baseball player Ramon Ramirez and his BLASTING Christian music from his jeep) to go to church, sing, and drink hot ginger tea. The traditional Christmas food is pork, so I had the great fortune of seeing WAAAY more piggies roasted than I could ever desire. One day they roasted FIVE in one day....right in front of my house! On Noche Buena (Christmas Eve), I had like half the families in the neighborhood trying to shove pork, rice and peas, and potato salad down my throat. One neighbor even made special "American" dishes that she learned from her gringo husband! It was a low-key Christmas for me, but I spent more time with all the little would-be-delinquents in my town than I ever had before and now love them more than EVER!









No comments: