Sunday, February 8, 2009

Happy New Year, Dominican Style!

Wherever I may be at the end of this year, I sincerely hope that I can find my way back to Puerto Plata to celebrate the New Year. I thought that, as usual, we would quietly sit at the house and have some beer while listening to merengue and bachata. About an hour before midnight, however, one of my little muchachitos stumbled over to Pilar's house and began demanding beer. "Angel!" I said, "Are you drunk?!?!" Angel, who is 8-years-old, replied, "Yes, my dad gave me wine!" I nearly fell over. I have never seen an eight-year-old drunk in my life! Then I decided to see what else was going on so I wondered over to where my beloved "son" and his cousin were hanging out on the bridge. They ran over to me, also stumbling, and I thought, Oh, how cute, they are pretending to be drunk like Angel. Imagine how shocked I was to discover that my beloved hijo was NOT pretending!!!! I laughed hysterically and then dragged him home to show his parents, who also started cracking up. The entire NEIGHBORHOOD was drinking!
When midnight came around, we all started running around the barrio, hugging, kissing, and saying "Felicidades!!!" to everyone. We started dancing merengue and bachata in the middle of the street and all the kids did, too! We never even left our neighborhood but it was one of the best times I have ever had. There is such a sense of community here; all of us neighbors are like family and I was so happy that this gringa could be a part of something so Dominican. I was even dressed for the part! Have you noticed my bright blue SEQUENCED turtleneck sweater (a present from my host mom)!??! I'm truly a fashionista, eh? But seriously, New Year's Eve 2009: DR, anyone??









No comments: