Saturday, October 20, 2007

I really do work, too


Welcome to my precious little "classroom," also known as the "library." You can see that it is just OVERFLOWING with books, huh? And most of the books that you do see here are either not in Spanish or are written by such primary school greats such as Sophocles, Descartes, and Nietzche. (Not exactly on my 1st graders' reading lists!). I wish that I had some before pictures so that I could show you all what a mess it was beforehand..but with the Directora's help we repainted (even the chalkboard!) and I swept, mopped, and dusted..throwing away things like Hunting magazines (complete with pages and pages of rifles), television programming manuals from the 1960s, and old Popular Mechanic magazines in English. Now I spend just about all day, everyday in this little room. I have four different classes (two in the morning and two in the afternoon) of students who are overage..ranging anywhere from 10-year-olds who are in 1st and 2nd grade to 13 and 14-year-olds who are in 3rd. Most of the students I work with are "principiante," meaning that they are still working on vowel recognition. I am also putting kids on mini versions of Individual Education Plans (IEPs), so that teachers and parents can work together to track students one-on-one progress. So far, all is hectic but going well. Soon I will post some pictures of my beloved kiddies hard at work!




No comments: